Picasso Lures School-E-Rig Junior
Alabama Style Rig
The Picasso School-E-Rig Junior is a multi-wire
Alabama-Style Rig that features a central connection from which five
wires extend and end with snap swivels. After the mind-boggling display
by Paul Elias at the FLW Tour Open on Lake Guntersville, the
Alabama-Rig popularity has spread like wildfire. Although resembling
something you would see hanging above a baby's crib, the odd looking
contraptions have proven to be unbelievable fish catchers. Stories of
hundred fish days have quickly gone from fish tales to reality after
more and more anglers got their hands on the A-Rig. In just the
following three weeks after the FLW Open, and additional three major
tournament titles fell victim to the Alabama Rig.
The Junior version of the School-E-Rig is feature for feature the exact same product as the original School-E-Rig, but possesses slightly shorter wires. Comparing the two - The original School-E-Rig is 8" in length and weighs 7/8oz where as the Junior version is 6.75" with a total weight of 3/8oz; otherwise the two lures are indistinguishable. The wire lengths is one of many variables of the umbrella style rigs that anglers have developed their own preference for; the School-E-Rig Junior falls into the shorter wire category.
Another feature displayed by the Junior version is the longer center wire. Two purposes are served with the single longer wire:
- Some anglers believe the appearance of a baitfish that is struggling to keep pace with the school triggers bass to strike out of pure instinct. In other words, opportunistic feeders see an easier opportunity.
- Anglers employing this lure in states that restrict the total number of hooks have found the fish to most commonly strike the further lure back. This simplifies the process of selecting which wires to attach the hooked baits vs. the teasers.
When fishing any type of Alabama Rig we recommend the following gear considerations:
Alabama rig has spawned creations from just about every company on the
planet and this product is just another modification offered by Picasso. The Picasso School-E-Rig Junior is 6.75" in length and weighs 3/8oz. We offer the lure in four colors: Albino Ayu, Big Sexy, Gizzard Shad and Shad.
- Rod: Swimbait rods that can handle 3-5oz - several rod companies are developing umbrella rig specific rods
- Reel: Choose a reel with a high line capacity spool - we also recommend a 6.1:1 or higher speed reel that can adapt to the diverse conditions the umbrella rig thrives in
- Line: 50-80lb braided line
- Hook: Swimbait jig heads ranging from 1/8-3/8oz are commonly used when employing soft plastic swimbaits