Mustad KVD Drop Shot Hook
The Mustad KVD Drop Shot Hook is an extra wide gap drop shot hook designed to decrease the bait's interference of the hook set. There's no doubt about it, the drop shot technique has become among the go to tactics for catching bass when conditions get tough. The amount of bites produced by the technique is mind boggling, however the hook-up percentage is typically low due to the small hook size used for the application. After encountering this issue first hand, Bassmaster pro angler Kevin Van Dam worked with Mustad to create a hook that could increase the chance of hooking and landing those fish.
The result was a wider gap finesse hook designed from a pre-existing live bait hook. The possesses a fine wire which is optimal for drop shotting because of the use of light fluorocarbon line. The lighter fluorocarbon needs to be matched with similarly light wire hooks, if the hook wire is too heavy it will take too much force to efficiently penetrate the fish's jaw and result in broken line. The light wire design also aids in the presentation of the bait as it will not inhibit the plastic's action. The wide gap and down turned eye create a hook that will position itself straight on the line and hold a large plastic while still retaining an open hook point. In addition to the drop shot application, the hook can be used for wacky rigging a worm - we'd suggest the 1-2/0 sizes for that technique. We offer the red color of the Mustad KVD Wide Gap Dropshot Hook in seven sizes: 8 - 2/0 each pack contains a quantity of 10 hooks size 8-1, 6 Hooks 1/0 5 Hooks 2/0.
KVD Drop Shot Hook Features
- Wide Gap: 20% wider gap than standard drop shot hooks. The result is less interference by the plastic when attempting to set the hook.
- Oversized Barb / Angled Hook Point: The angled point and oversized barb are excellent for not only hooking the fish, but also ensuring they get are landed.
- Fine Wire: Fine wire is ideal for drop shotting which typically makes use of a light fluorocarbon line that will break if not paired with an equally light wire hook.
- Sharp Hook Point: Mustad's ultrapoint hooks are 20% sharper than other hooks on the market and retain their sharpness much longer as well.
- Versatile: In addition to the drop shot technique, the double wide hook can be used for wacky worming soft plastic worms such as Senkos.